Friday 5 January 2018

KHARAGPUR WINTER OF CODE | KWOC



About KWOC
Kharagpur Winter of Code is a 5-week long online programme for the students, who are new to open source software development. The programme not only helps students to get involved in open source, but also preps them for many open source summer programmes, Google Summer of Code being one of them.

Choosing the Project
The main task was to choose project. I went through all the projects that matched my skills. I thought over them and decided to work upon five projects but ended up working on only two. These projects were related to Android. My task was to design UIs in these projects I choose to work on. Choosing was the difficult task, after that the things become easy. We just have to wake up code, push and sleep.

Projects I Choose

Books Pivot:
A book sharing (PDF/EBOOK) platform
The project contains both 1.Android Application 2. Website
Facilities Provided: Users can access the server from both website as well as application.
Giving users the opportunity to upload/download infinite number of files. Each download of a file will be counted on server and based on higest number of downloads and ratings, the reputation of the user profile will be updated and that would add a reputation level badge to his profile encouraging user to use the platform.

Password Storage:
Annoyed of forgetting your passwords for important websites? Do you want a secure way of saving all of them in one place instead of writing them down on a sheet of paper? Then Password Storage is your solution! It stores the passwords of all the websites where you have an account, so you have a secure storage of your passwords and you only have to remember your master password in order to enter the app.

Voice Calculator:
Calculator with functionality of voice input and output
Description The goal of this project is to build a calculator which has speech reconition ability for input. Developement [Google's MVP] (https://github.com/googlesamples/android-architecture/tree/todo-mvp) is followed for the application development.

Pacman lvl-1:
There's nothing like a little old school Pacman game right? We are planning to rebuid our version of the great arcade game Pac Man which can be played on an any android device. Never played before?! What?! Eat all the pellets to complete a stage while trying to score as many points as possible by eating fruit and ghosts along the way!
This project is a very basic Android implementation of the pacman game. So, our pacman just goes up when you press on the screen and down when you release it. You get points when you eat yellow/blue squares and game gets over when you get hit by black ones. At the end of the game your score is displayed aong with the highest score. Therefore, newbies in Java and Android are welcomed if they want to contribute to the android game project from scratch.

DigiNehruApp:
This is to develop a native/hybrid app to reduce food wastage in Nehru Mess.

Projects I Worked on

Books Pivot:
The project had simple and clear objective and I was clear what I had to do in this project. Our mentor Gaurav helped us in every way possible. I asked him many doubts and he without any hesitation answered all. I love designing UIs so he gave me that task. I redesigned whole App. Adding new views, lists, fragments and many more. I helped my mentor resolve issues and removed all hardcoded strings. I learnt Git through this project. I made and solved many issues related to push/pull in git. It was a total learning experience in this project. 

List of my PRs:

resolving conflicts
#47 by ThisIsNSH was merged 16 days ago
re: resolved conflicts of old PR
#46 by ThisIsNSH was closed 18 days ago
feat: new ui for forgot password
#43 by ThisIsNSH was closed 18 days ago
feat: Lists in fragments
#42 by ThisIsNSH was merged 21 days ago
feat : List in activity_download
#41 by ThisIsNSH was merged 22 days ago
All UI work done.
#37 by ThisIsNSH was merged 25 days ago
feat: drawer implemented over fragments
#33 by ThisIsNSH was merged 27 days ago
Fragment
#32 by ThisIsNSH was merged 28 days ago
feat: Fragments
#28 by ThisIsNSH was merged on Dec 7, 2017
feat: HomeActivity new UI
#24 by ThisIsNSH was merged on Dec 7, 2017
new login ui
#23 by ThisIsNSH was closed on Dec 6, 2017
Merge pull request #3 from gmonetix/master
#21 by ThisIsNSH was closed on Dec 5, 2017
Strings
#15 by ThisIsNSH was merged on Dec 4, 2017
Splash+animation
#13 by ThisIsNSH was merged on Dec 4, 2017
login changes
#11 by ThisIsNSH was merged on Dec 4, 2017
Login
#10 by ThisIsNSH was merged on Dec 3, 2017

Password Storage:
This was the first project I started working on and the first project I finished working on. I designed the Login screen which the mentor then told that was not to be designed. He was busy with other projects on KWOC, I felt that. Then I designed the splash screen for the project and he approved it. This was my first PR and the feeling was very very good. I worked on this project in between my exams.

List of my PR:

Splash
#46 by ThisIsNSH was merged on Dec 3, 2017 • Approved

Other Projects:
I was pretty interested in the Voice Calculator but initially the mentor didnt seem to be interested so I left the project. Pacman was a good project but I saw no contribution in the initial days so I left it too. DigiNehruApp was a totally different kind of project. I contacted the mentor and he gave me his number to ask for doubts but I kept contributing to BooksPivot. 

Summary of my work:

I have designed many many activities this KWOC and made and resolved many conflicts. There was an overall learning experience and more than that I learnt open-source contribution which will help me in preparation on GSoC. Being in first year only few students think of getting that opportunity and I am in those few. I learnt Firebase and main thing, how to choose projects. Talking to mentors was very very educational. They told many things which are to be kept in mind while contributing on the open-source world. This season I focused mainly on XML coding. Thats all. 

Thanks KWoC for making my winters productive...


No comments:

Post a Comment